Personnel Management is clearly a management function
|Functions of Personal Management|
- Planning: Planning is deciding in advance what to do in future. In the context of personnel management, it is concerned with manpower planning, studying turnover rate, forecasting the future requirement of personnel and planning for selection and training procedures etc.
- Organizing: Organizing involves the establishment of interrelationship within organization. It provides a structure for the company for identifying the various subgroups heated by individuals in managerial jobs as well as operative jobs.
- Directing: Directing includes instruction to workers developing communication network, interpreting various industrial laws and integrating workers.
- Motivating: Motivating function involves motivation of employee through financial and non-financial incentives to increase productivity.
- Controlling: Personnel department provides basis data for establishing standards, makes job analysis and performance appraisal etc.
Operative FunctionsThese are service or routine functions of personnel management. These are
- Procurement of personnel: It covers human resource planning and forecasting and the process of recruitment, selection, placement and introduction of newly appointed employee.
- Development of personnel: Development of workers and managers demand systematic programmes for employee training and management development, programmes of performance appraisal, promotion, transfer, etc. are also included under this function. Development function yields synergic effect viz, 2+2=5.
- Compensation of personnel: Equitable remuneration in the form of wages, salaries, bonuses assume great significance, as compensation is the main motivator because our wants are satisfied with money in the market for goods and services. Economic compensation involves varied and complex problems. It governs labour management relations.
- Integration: Individual, social and organizational goals and interest are diverse and conflicting. They have to be reconciled and properly coordinated or integrated. Then only employees can offer their willing cooperation for united and joint enterprises. Democratic management reduces conflicts and assures effective morale and motivation.
- Maintenance: It covers personnel activities relating to employee health and safety, favorable work environment, employee benefits and services, labor welfare work, worker participation on management etc.