1. Marketing research system
2. Marketing intelligence system
a) Formal sources: The formal sources of marketing intelligence are as follows:
- Salesmen: Salesmen perform their works living in their respective fields. So, they directly know about the changes taken place in market. A business organization should collect all information of such changes from salesmen and analyze them. The organization should make the salesmen skilled for this purpose and motivate them for good performance.
- Intermediaries: The intermediaries include dealers, distributors, wholesalers, retailers etc. They remain acting as intermediaries of different products in the markets. They know everything about market. So, a business organization should motivate them to get important information.
- Marketing information center: An information center can be established under marketing information system. In this system, a business organization secretly keeps its employees in competitors’ organizations as secret agents to collect information. Such secret agents send all necessary information about their policy, program, strategies etc.
- Specialist/expert: A business organization may also appoint specialists for collecting market information. Such specialists become skilled in scanning market environment.
- Private agency: A business organization may buy market information from private agencies. Such private agencies become efficient in collecting market information and analyze them.
b) Informal sources: The informal sources of marketing intelligence are as follows:
- Reading newspapers, magazines, trade journals etc.
- Having interactions with production manager, financial manager, personnel manager, research and development manager, sales manager, employees etc.
- Having interaction with customers, intermediaries, other concerned persons etc.
3. Internal record system
4. Marketing decision support system (MDDS)
|Structure of a decision support system|