- Intelligence: A successful leader must have above average knowledge and intelligence. Mental ability to think precisely, analyze accurately, interpret clearly and consciously are necessary to consider the problems in the right perspective.
- Maturity: A leader should possess a high level of emotions stability and cool temperament. He needs a high degree of tolerance.
- Sound Physique: Sound physical and mental health is essential to bear the burden of leadership. Sound physique includes physical stamina, nervous, energy, mental vigour and important leadership qualities.
- Self Confidence: The leader should have confidence in himself and a strong will power.
- Empathy: The leader must have the ability to see things from other’s point of view. He must respect the viewpoints and feelings of others.
- Foresight and Vision: He should have the capability to look forward and anticipate the events. He should have a high degree of imagination, moral courage, breadth and determination.
- Decisiveness: A leader must have sound judgement and the ability to take quick decisions.
- Human Relations Approach: A leader must have the capacity to understand people, work with them and to gain their confidence, loyalty and voluntary cooperation. He must be able to motivate people towards higher performance.
- Objectivity: A leader should be fair and objective in dealing with subordinates. He must be free from bias and prejudice.
Qualities of a Successful Leader
The qualities of a successful leader are: