Meaning of Packaging
Any product of any company can be exported or imported to any country of the world. The products need to be exported or imported from or to far off countries. So, products are packed to make easy to do so. Generally, packing or parceling products is called packaging. This is an important task of marketing. It plays an important role in this competitive
According to Prof. Philip Kotler, “Packaging is the activity of designing and producing the container or wrapper for products.”
According to David J. Schwartch, “The package that contains protects and identifies the basic products.”
According to Prof. William J. Stanton, “The packing may be defined as all the activities involved in designing and producing the container or wrapper for a product.”
Objectives of Packaging
1. Product protection
2. Product prestige
3. Easy in handling
4. Promotional appeal
5. Reasonable cost
Functions of Packaging
I. Basic functions
- Product containment: At first packaging design should be prepared and produced. After this task is completed, the products are put into covers. The covers, containers or wraps or packs become different according to the nature of the products. In order to keep the produced goods in safe, bottles, containers, bags, tubes or drums or plastics, tin boxes or wooden boxes are used according to the nature of the products.
- Product protection: The second important function is to protect the products. This plays an important role to keep the quality and feature of the products fresh. It becomes impossible to supply goods to the customers without proper packaging. Packaging protects products from damage, breaking, leaking, or moistening or ruining. Any product should not get mixed with other products. Packaging protects products from such possibilities.
- Product identification: Besides brand, other instructions and information are also written on packs. Producer’s name, production date, usable duration, expiry date, suing methods etc. are written on packs. Composition of the packed products is also given on it. So, important information about the product can be obtained from pack. In this way, every packaging gives introduction of the product with which the customers feel easy to take decision to buy or not to buy.
II. Selling function
- Promotion: Good packaging itself advertises the products. Good packaging attracts the customers and makes them confident about the quality of the product. Multiple packaging becomes successful to win the heart of customers in competitive situation. Such attractive packaging can be seen at super market, big shopping centers etc. So, it is said attractive packaging plays a role of silent seller.
- Creation of public image: Dependable and attractive packaging creates positive attitude of the public. If positive public image is created towards the products, the customers buy such products regularly. They also tell their relatives, friends, neighbors etc. about the products and suggest them to buy it. This plays an important role in the achievement of the objective of the company.
- Communication: Good packaging gives information about quality and features of the products to the customers. Together with this, the customers get every information about products mix, manufactured date, duration of the use of the products, method of use, keeping safe the product etc. from the packaging. Such information or notices motivate the customers to buy product.
- Product differences: Nowadays, many products of various companies can be found in markets. In this age of market competition, it is necessary to know which product belongs to which company. This becomes possible only from packaging. From this customers can take buying decision to the best product only by reading the information about quality, feature, price, mix etc.
|Functions of Packaging|