Project Management Information System (PMIS) is a database for project. It collects, analyses, stores, retrieves and disseminated project information for making project decisions. It consists of people, equipment and procedures. It is generally of an ad-hoc nature till the life of the project.
Project Management Information System is based on various forms and reports that generate written information for decision making and control. The requirements for PMIS are:
- Project forms are filled-in periodically based on the measurement of progress of each activity.
- The forms are entered in the PMIS and analyzed to prepare a report for dissemination to all the concerned project personnel.
- Corrective actions are taken by the project manager based on performance deviations identified by PMIS reports.
|Project Management Information Cycle|
- PMIS reports should identify critical control points so that corrective actions can be taken.
The project management information system consists of inputs-transformation-outputs-feedback.
|Project Management Information System (PMIS)|
- Inputs: It consists of data generated internally by various project forms on a periodic basis. External sources can also generate data, for example functional departments can provide data to project.
- Transformation: It consists of analysis, storage, retrieval and dissemination of data and information.
- Outputs: It consists of regular and special reports about project performance.
- Feedback: It provides information to redesign PMIS for inputs and transformation activities.