The key requirements of participatory evaluation are:
- Beneficiaries should be active participants, not just information providers.
- Stakeholders should actively participate in carrying out monitoring and evaluation.
- Focus should be on building stakeholder capacity and commitment.
- The process should lead to improved implementation through corrective actions.
Key stages in participatory M&E are:
- Preparation: This involves:
- Defining terms of reference for M&E
- Identifying the stakeholders and a lead facilitator
- Training to stakeholders.
- Action planning: A time schedule is worked out.
- Implementation of M&E: The cycle consists of :
- Self evaluation --> Analysis --> Plan --> Act
- Dissemination of M&E results:
- PRA (Participatory Rural Appraisal), testimonials by beneficiaries and workshops can be used as methods for participatory M & E.